Monument record NDM 008 - The Pightle, Needham Market, (Prehistoric)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0888 5513 (42m by 101m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NEEDHAM MARKET, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
May 1993: Two trial trenches were excavated exposing the subsoil surface. This was a mottled sand in which burnt and worked flint were found. Though no discernible features were observed much of the flint was discovered in discreet patches.
May/June 1993: Excavation and subsequent monitoring of trenches during construction revealed further flintwork and undated, probable and definite prehistoric features and finds. The flintwork was mainly Mesolithic with earlier and later Mesolithic assemblages. Details in (S2).
See also Roman, Saxon & Medieval records.
- <S1> SSF59599 Unpublished document: Caruth J. 1994. Archaeological Excavation Report, "The Pightle" Needham Market.
- <S2> SSF59354 Unpublished document: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1126.
- FSF14505: CORE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF14506: FLAKE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF26124: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF50925: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF50926: BLADE (Earlier Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 7000 BC?)
- FSF50927: MICROLITH (Earlier Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 7000 BC?)
- FSF50928: BLADE (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF50929: FLAKE (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF50930: BURNT FLINT (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 9000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 11 2020 1:28PM