Monument record SSA 005 - Church of St Andrew
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3578 6015 (67m by 65m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STRATFORD ST ANDREW, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Church of St Andrew. Consists of chancel, nave, early vestry, S porch, W tower.
Norman nave though not mentioned in Domesday Survey.
C14 chancel. 1643/4 visited by William Dowsing.
1870 restoration (S1)(R1)(R2). Further details (site visits, descriptions etc) in parish file.
2002: Report of the development and history of the Church including a documentary report by Tony Brean see (S2).
2004: Monitoring of groundworks identified 140 graves , 22 skeletons that would have been disturbed were lifted and re-buried. Recording of architectural details confirmed that the church had Norman origins (S3).
- <R1> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. Cautley H M, Suffolk Churches.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Reports, notes.
- <S1> SSF6989 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, E Suffolk I-Y, 1990.
- <R2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The Counties of England, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF54749 Unpublished document: Wardle, P.. 2002. An Archaeological Assessment of Stratford St Andrew's Church.
- <S3> SSF54968 Unpublished document: Gill D. 2007. Archaeological Monitoring Report, St Andrew's Church, Stratford St. Andrew.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2013 8:58AM