Monument record WSM 002 - Church of St Mary (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4455 8638 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WILLINGHAM ST MARY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of Church of St Mary.
1951: All that remains of this church is some rubble (bits of brick etc) around the roots of a tree (S2).
Domesday Book (pages 543-544): Lands of Hugh de Montfort: Willingham: a church with 40 acres worth 7s (R1). (But see also Ellough, Willingham All Saints).
In 1526 Willingham St Mary was united with the rectory of North Cove, consolidated in 1743. Church was in use till after 1500, for in 1503 and 1509 legacies were made to the 'awtor of Wellingham of our Lady' and in a will dated 1529 a legacy is left to the reparation of the parish church of Willingham. Its remains are now scarcely visible (R2).
Living now united with Sotterley (since 1873) (S1).
Mapped as `in ruins' in 1783 but in completely different location - see WSM Misc Med.
2002: Said to be numerous human bones in ploughsoil (see Sax).
- <S1> SSF18028 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1980.
- <R1> SSF5348 (No record type): Domesday Book, pages 543-544.
- <R2> SSF21716 (No record type): Suckling Reverend A, History and Antiquities of Suffolk, 1846, 1, 102.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM48NW2, 1951.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S5> SSF60097 Bibliographic reference: Bryant, T. H.. 1912. County Churches.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2021 3:38PM