Monument record IPS 261 - Lovetofts, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1358 4668 (180m by 222m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Site of Lovetofts, Lovetofts Drive. The Manor House known as Lovetofts Hall is a farmhouse on or near the site? Named after John de Lovetot `who had a grant of free warren here in 1277. John de Lovetot died in 1295' (S3). Manor House shown on tithe and OS maps up to 1955 (S1,S2,S4), no longer shown on c.1959 map (S5).
2012: Walls and a yard surface probably associated with Lovetofts Farm were present in the excavated test pits. They were probably part of farm buildings rather than domestic buildings and could be dated to the 17th-18th century. They were on the same alignment and in approximately the same position as farm buildings shown on the 1882 First Edition Ordnance Survey map. Although they had all been demolished, probably when the mid-20th-century housing estate was built, the walls and surfaces survive at a depth of c.0.4m below ground level. Although no evidence of the medieval manorial complex believed to be in this location was found, it is likely that archaeological evidence of this, perhaps including structures, may survive elsewhere in the immediate area, (S6).
2013: Two trial trenches (Trenches 1 and 2) were excavated revealing a series of early modern features and structures. Trench 1 contained two walls and an associated cobble surface, which almost certainly belonged to the 18th- and 19th-century Lovetofts Farm complex which had occupied the site until the site was developed later in the 20th century. Trench 2 contained a wall, a post-setting and a curving brick structure, which as they were orientated in line with the present landscape features and appeared to post-date a layer of demolition material, were probably later in date than the features observed in Trench 1, (S7).
- <S1> SSF15211 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1926. OS, map 25" 1926, sheet LXXV.6. OS, map 25" 1926, sheet LXXV.6.
- <S2> SSF22195 Map: 1841. Tithe map, Bramford 1841, p 461/36. Field No 573. Tithe map, Bramford 1841, p 461/36. Field No 573.
- <S3> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, `Manors of Suffolk' Vol 2, 1908, 266-267.
- <S4> SSF12800 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1955. OS, 1:25000 map, TM 14, 1955. OS, 1:25000 map, TM 14, 1955.
- <S5> SSF12647 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1959. OS, 1:10560 map, TM 14 NW, c.1959. OS, 1:10560 map, TM 14 NW, c.1959.
- <S6> SSF57389 Unpublished document: Crawley, P and Hodges, L. 2012. Archaeological Watching Brief at Lovetofts Drive, Ipswich, Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF57390 Unpublished document: Crawley, P and Hodges, L.. 2013. Archaeological Trial Trench Evaluation at Lovetofts Drive, Ipswich, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 2 2016 1:41PM