Monument record BSE 056 - Church of St Edmund
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8534 6374 (18m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
In September 1983 the SIA visited the Roman Catholic church of St Edmund and saw the recently restored Blessed Sacrament Chapel - "church built by Jesuit Father John Gage, 1762. St Edmund's (architect Day of Worcester) dedicated 14 December 1837. Curved sanctuary steps and apse behind altar typical features of Jesuit church. Fittings include a number of features removed from Rushbrooke Hall. Church connected to Blessed Sacrament Chapel by finely engraved glass doors by Stephen Oliver" (S1).
"Church of St Edmund is a gault brick building with an imposing Ionic entrance portico. It was built in 1838 from designs by Charles Day, in the Greek revival style" (S2).
"At the W end is an alms box made from the wood of the tree to which (tradition says) St Edmund was bound during his martyrdom at Hoxne" (precis) (S3).
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 35, 1984, (4), 334.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SE73, 1980.
- <S3> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 77-78.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 26-MAR-81.
- <S5> SSF59804 Bibliographic reference: District of St Edmundsbury. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 12 7 72, 215.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 12:14PM