Monument record BXT 009 - Church of All Saints
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8248 5045 (63m by 76m)|
|Civil Parish||BOXTED, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Church of All Saints.
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Sudbury archdeaconry, Sudbury deanery. Status : rectory. Structure : chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, embattled W tower. Date : chiefly Perpendicular. The church is located in the E of the parish near Boxted Hall (S6).
In May 1982 the SIA visited All Saints church and noted : "Not mentioned in Domesday Book; Chapel of Ease to Hartest since 1221. Wills 1440-1457 record the building of a tower, including will of Robert Foster of Glemsford who requested his wife to 'find wages and food of hewerys and leggers (what were these?) of the same tower as long as they shall be building it'. Will 1530, makes bequest to 'making of the doum' : both Darby and Davy record inscription on roof timber over former dome: 'Come to judgement (missing) accursed into fire eternal'. Poley chapel was described as 'new' in will of Sir William Poley in 1658. Famous series of fine monuments includes wooden effigies of Sir William Poley (died 1587) builder of present Hall, and wife Alice (died 1577)" (S1).
"All Saints' Church, Boxted is a small flint and stone church mainly of C15 date. The W tower has stone rusticated quoins and castellated parapet.." (S2).
"The nave has a late C16 cambered tie beam roof with richly carved members, the C17 altar rails are three-sided, turned and twisted, and a good Stuart holy table remains". Stuart pulpit dated 1618 (S3).
"Interesting hammerbeam roof in the chancel, interesting because Jacobean". Poley chapel contains two most notable monuments to the Poley family, thatto Sir John Poley (died 1638) and Dame Abigail, the latter erected in 1725. "Both have standing effigies in arched niches and crowning pediments with rounded centres. In all else they differ characteristically. Sir John's monument must be of the (ending C17) and is certainly the work of an outstanding sculptor"... (precis) (S4).
"The S side of the chancel is Perpendicular, the rest late work. Most of the remaining parts of the church, including the fine roofs to the nave and aisles and the font, are Perpendicular. There is a plain Early English lancet window in the aisle" (S5).
- <S1> SSF6206 (No record type): Excursions 1982, PSIA, 35, 1983, (3), 240.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL85SW11, 1980.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 227.
- <S4> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England-Suffolk, London 1975 (second ed) 106-107.
- <S5> SSF1051 (No record type): Barker, H.R.. Barker H R, W Suff Ill, Bury St Edmunds 1907, 37 (ill).
- <S6> SSF20756 (No record type): SAU, Suff Parishes, A Guide to their Archaeol & Hist, 1984-1985, ms.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 9 1986 12:00AM