Monument record TYY 025 - Blofield Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2812 3525 (59m by 79m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- MANOR (14th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1301 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (14th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1301 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRUCTURE (14th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1300 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (14th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1300 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BEAM SLOT? (Unknown date)
- WALL (14th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1300 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PIT (Unknown date)
Site of Blofield Hall, now demolished. Still shown on 1975 OS map in rounded enclosure (S1). Blofield Manor was a sub-manor of Trimley St Mary in circa 1292. Owned by John Blofeld in 1362. Adjoins Byle Fleet (separate channel runs through grounds). Documentary research suggests a manor house had probably occupied the site of Blofield Hall since the C14 (S2). Grade III building in 1950s when described as `C17 with 2 stories plus attic. Gable windows. Red brick with dark headers band. Modern pantiles, windows and entrance. Much restored and modernised' (R1).
1998: Evaluation revealed at least five phases of building activity. Phase 1 could be represented by shallow features which may represent beam slots. The second phase is represented by stone walls and a ditch. The ditch is partially overlain by the brick and septaria structure which represents phase 3 of activity. During phase 4, the structure was faced with bricks and evidence of a floor is seen by bricks the same size as those used for the structure which could indicated that the floor had been laid at the same time. The most recent structure, the Victorian building, represents the fifth phase. Although five phases can be identified, it is difficult to date them because of the lack of artefactual evidence from this site. However, it is unlikely that stone would have been used as a building material in this area before c.1300; while brick would have been the construction fabric of preference from the mid-17th century onwards. However, brick is recorded as being used for buildings from the end of the 14th century (S3).
1998: Fieldwalking results recorded under TYY 071.
- <S1> SSF12504 (No record type): OS, 1:10,000 map, TM 23 NE, 1975.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <R1> SSF5097 (No record type): Demax M, listing report.
- <S2> SSF18264 (No record type): SAU, Abbott C, Blofield Hall, Trimley St Mary, Archaeological Desktop Assessment, Rep 97/67, October.
- <S3> SSF51333 Unpublished document: Abbot, C.. 1998. Archaeological Evaluation at Blofield Hall, Trimley St Mary.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2018 11:02AM