Find Spot record CAM 011 - Field Northeast of Dry Cavenham Mere (Mesolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 765 704 (383m by 586m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
c. 1979? Fieldwalking Scatter of flakes, blades and cores over much of the area - possible concentrations towards S and E (S1).
The site was probably beside a mere,now low lying pasture to the east, and also produces evidence of Iron Age, Roman, Early Saxon and Medieval occupation
See also CAM 027 (Mesolithic) and CAM 029 (Mesolithic).
Details are scarce due to a burglary in 1981, but the survey in 1979 seems to relate to an adjacent find mentioned on the PaMELA database and is included here (S3).
See also (S4, S5).
- <S1> SSF21632 Source Unchecked: Stimson, D.. 1979. Unknown, possibly personal communication after fieldwalking.. Stimson D, 1979.
- <S2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: description - lost in burglary 1981.
- <S3> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S4> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11514.
- <S5> SSF59354 Unpublished document: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 925.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2019 2:49PM