Monument record DUN 012 - Medieval artefact scatter, including a pitcher, pottery sherds and a leather shoe sole.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 501 744 (100m by 100m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
C13-C14 pottery including C13 pitcher (photograph IPSMG), C17 sherds, leather shoe sole.
Further C13-C14 sherds and possible structures found 1967 at TM 5005 7438 approximately.
Previously recorded as Walberswick 006 and Southwold 003, actually sited in small detachment of Dunwich parish.
A pitcher and other 13th/14th and 17th century sherds were exposed at low tide. (Kilns were exposed during
erosion following floods of 1953). (S2)
(TM 50057438) A feature reported variously as a kiln with apsidal end and a row of rectangular huts, appeared briefly on the seaward side of a peat bar: early medieval pottery was recovered from the site. A trial excavation failed to locate any feature. (S3)
No trace of medieval occupation. The situation is a sand and shingle bar backed by salt marsh on an eroding coastline.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 967-77, 1967.
- <S2> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 1959, vol. 28 pg96.
- <S3> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 1967-69, vol. 31 pg 82.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 10-MAY-74.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 20 2022 2:03PM