Monument record BSE 197 - 50 Churchgate Street, 61-63 College Street

Please read our .

Summary

Monitoring recorded medieval building footings and post medieval pits.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 85409 64030 (16m by 28m)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

2001: The monitoring of groundworks on land to the rear of 61/63 College Street uncovered the footings of a flint and mortar building, probably a medieval chantry, which the Warren map of 1747 suggests once stood on the site. The footings were of rammed sand and gravel between natural chalk. The internal dimensions of the building were 6m x c.9.5m with walls up to 0.6m wide. All floor levels and internal features were truncated and the site was either used for cess pits or was an area of yarding prior to the construction of the building extension, last used as a dance studio, which was recently demolished. The cellar of 50 Churchgate Street/61/63 College Street was also visited as part of the monitoring and a photographic record was made. The bricks used in the vaulted roof indicated a 16th century date for construction (S1).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2001. A Report on the Archaeological Monitoring, 50 Churchgate/61-63 College Street, Bury St Edmunds.

Finds (7)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

May 29 2018 2:11PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.