Monument record BUD 001 - St Clare's Nunnery; Bruisyard Abbey
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 334 661 (337m by 534m)|
|Civil Parish||BRUISYARD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COLLEGE OF SECULAR PRIESTS (14th century to 16th century - 1301 AD to 1500 AD)
- Convent (14th century to IPS: Late Medieval Transitional - 1301 AD to 1600 AD)
- NUNNERY (14th century to IPS: Late Medieval Transitional - 1301 AD to 1600 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- STRUCTURE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SLUICE? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
Moat. Hall on site of St Clare's Nunnery. Long rectangular orchard enclosure, remains of another.
Foundations of Nunnery buildings found during trenching for new drains in February 1948 by Hon W Rouse. Glazed or encaustic tiles, broken, were also found and the one in IPSMG (S3) with armorial decoration from the collection of the late Rev H A Harris, is probably one of these (S1).
Site of Bruisyard College & Nunnery. College originated at Campsey Ash in 1348, removed to Bruisyard in 1354 by Maud, Countess of Ulster. Chapel dedicated Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Dissolved 1366. Surrendered to the use of Abbess & Sisters of NUNS MINORESSES on site of college. Founded by Lionel, Duke of Clarence. Valued at 56 pounds 2 shillings and 1 penny in 1534. Dissolved 1539. Traces remain near Manor House (S1).
Material from Nunnery said to be incorporated in Elizabethan S transept of St Peters Church - see BUD 002. Chantry or college nunnery of Campsey removed from Campsey `to the manor place of Rokehall, in Bruisyard parish, where a chapel of the chantry or collegiate church had .... a brief life; for in 1364.... it was agreed that this establishment should be surrendered for the use of an abbess and sisters belonging to the order of Nuns Minoressess or Sisters of St Clare...' Surrendered to nuns in 1366. Buildings listed in commissioners inventory of 1536 included church, parlour, several chambers, a butlery, kitchen, backhouse and brewhouse. Suppressed 1539. Details in (S4).
September 1989: Stonewalling & footings identified in site visit - details in file (S5).
December 1992: Mapped area of site increased to include earthworks, fishpond(?) and forecourt area.
1994: Scheduled (S6).
1994-1995: For various plans, details of site visits etc, see parish file and (S7) copy of C18 plan of Tom Martin.
January 1995: Monitoring of mechanical desilting of the moat revealed a timber structure at the northern end of the western arm. This structure was made up of a large squared timber lain across the base of the moat with two slightly smaller timbers at right angles running up to the two ends of the larger timber. There was some evidence that these timbers represent the base for a more extensive structure that could have operated as a sluice when the moat was part of a controlled water-flow system possibly associated with fish farming at the site. While there is no direct dating evidence for the timber structure it is likely to be of Medieval date. All of the structural timbers were left in situ as the water in the newly desilted moat will preserve them for future investigation. All noted finds were of 18th-20th century date indicating that the moat hade been desilted in this period (S10).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM36NW1.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVI, 93,203.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <M2> SSF44250 (No record type): Parochial characteristic survey:.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 7, 1890, (3), 320-323.
- <S2> SSF7032 (No record type): Goult W, Parochial Characteristic Survey, Bruisyard, Ms, unpublished, 1988.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1958-11, 1958.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S5).
- <M4> SSF44252 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S4> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk, 2, 1907, 131-132.
- <S5> SSF19088 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, field report, sketches, September 1989.
- <S6> SSF5681 (No record type): EH, Scheduling information.
- <S7> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 38, 1995, 373-6, ill.
- <S8> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TM 334 662, JFW 7-9, 2O July 1992.
- <S9> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 38 (3), 1995, p.348-9.
- <S10> SSF58251 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 1995. Monitoring, Bruisyard Hall, Bruisyard.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2018 4:24PM