Monument record LCS 063 - Site of Second World War Diver anti-aircraft battery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 46186 62545 (257m by 338m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Military, probably WW2, rectangular and linear cropmarks, possibly enclosures. Function unknown (S1)(R1)(R2).
April 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The ‘cropmarks’ describe above relate to a Second World War Diver anti-aircraft battery, which is visible as structures on 1940s aerial photographs (S2)-(S3). The site is now arable and there is no evidence that any elements survive; an evaluation in the area of the site noted large amounts of modern building material (LCS 060, MSF21591). See too National Record of the Historic Environment record TM 46 SE 76 (S3).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 22nd April 2015.
- <R1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph.
- <S1> SSF54456 Unpublished document: Richmond, A.. 1994. Evaluation Report, Sizewell C. Figures 4 & 5.
- <R2> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. RCHME.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/462 FS 1066-1068 30-JUN-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 FP 1225-1226 07-JUN-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55748 Unpublished document: English Heritage Archive record. Unique Identifier: 1478633, TM 46 SE 76; http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478633.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation (Ref: ) (ESF18402)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM46SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22910)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2016 11:47AM