Monument record WLN 046 - Second World War military training and quarrying activity
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45424 69242 (748m by 607m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Large area of unknown military activity, which possibly includes anti-tank features, tracks and ground disturbance, later this site associated with a saw mill and quarry activity (S1).
February 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Assessment of the aerial photographs for this site (S2-S5) indicate an area of quarry and ground disturbance, which appear to be associated with the military training in this area (WLN 091). The exact purpose of this activity is not immediately clear, although it is possible that the sand is being used for filling sand-bags and constructing both defensive and training features. This site includes the area of quarrying previous recording under WLN 047. A Diver Strip Anti-Aircraft battery is recorded for this approximate location in (S6), however no traces of this can be seen and it may be that evidence of it has been removed by June 1945 by this large scale military activity/and or quarrying. The anti-glider trenches are now recorded under WLN 091.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 26th February 2015.
- <S1> SSF50176 Unpublished document: Historic landscape survey - Farm environment plan, Historic environment statement. Fletcher W (SCCAS) 2006.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RS 4167-4168 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 RS 4225-4226 07-JUN-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RS 4168-1689 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55876 Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. and Sims, D.. 2014. A Guide to Second World War Archaeology in Suffolk. Guide 2: Walberswick to Aldeburgh.. 2 vols.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2015 11:19AM