Monument record ARG 006 - The Fens
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 457 596 (531m by 493m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDRINGHAM CUM THORPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Criss cross pattern of vegetation marks, probably medieval peat cutting banks? (S1).
Also see ARG Misc Med.
March 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
A series of possible ditch features is visible on aerial photographs (S2)-(S6) on land on the Fens, Aldringham cum Thorpe. It was difficult to be certain of their nature, but it was considered likely that they represent peat cutting ditches similar to those to the south (SHER ADB 019) and they may be of medieval to post medieval origin.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 5th March 2015.
- <S1> SSF18869 (No record type): SAU, APs AJE 6-9, 26 July 1978.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RP 3255-3256 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/540/1082 V 0005-0006 24-FEB-1953 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/1674 F22 0141-0142 04-MAR-1955 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/69069 V 131-132 05-APR-1969 (EHA Original Print).
- <S6> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. SFU 11574/6-9 26-JUN-1978 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM45NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23192)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2015 1:16PM