Monument record COK 056 - Great Green Farmhouse

Please read our .

Summary

Evaluation revealed a probable medieval pond, infilled in the post medieval period.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9178 5582 (23m by 34m)
Map sheet TL95NW
Civil Parish COCKFIELD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

An evaluation on the edge of the medieval green at Great Green Farmhouse, Great Green, Cockfield was completed in advance of the construction of two dwellings. A pond that had been part infilled, in antiquity, with early post-medieval brick and tile rubble was sampled and produced a cylindrical, glazed red earthenware jar, dated 16th-18th century. Evidence suggested that the pond was man-made and the edge was consolidated with timber posts. The pond was part of a group of linear ponds that formed an intermittent wet boundary around the green. Evidence of out-buildings which were shown on the 1880 OS map and a undated field boundary ditch were also found (S1).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. Gill D, SCCAS 2007/083.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 10 2009 12:33PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.