Monument record ESO 015 - Earl Soham Park; Lodge Farm (1880s); Windwhistle Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2281 6392 (1230m by 1683m)|
|Civil Parish||EARL SOHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Medieval deer park north of Earl Soham Lodge. Recorded from at least 1276-1602 (S1,S2). Probably linked to Earl Soham Lodge (ESO 002 - hunting lodge - see discussion in S4).
Note 'The Lodge' was mapped by Bowen in 1755 and by Hodskinson in 1783 as 'Soham Lodge' in approximate area of 'Lodge Farm' (on 1880s OS map, now Windwhistle Farm)(or Pye Hall), suggesting this was the deer park lodge site. Whilst the location may be more likely for a hunting lodge it seems probable that the Bowen and Hodskinson mapping is slightly misleading. There seems no doubt about Earl Soham Lodge being the hunting lodge, as supported by, for example, the detailed accounts of 1439 and the 1632 survey.
Deer Park first recorded in 1276 (S5).
Precise extent unknown but the park was recorded as being 106 acres within the estate total of 269 acres in 1632 (Suffolk Records Office, Ipswich 226:137815). Plotted in HBSMR after Earl Soham tithe plot names (S3) and to include areas of 'The Lodge’ and Earl Soham Lodge. This area, based on the acreages noted above, would appear to be slightly too large, suggesting the area of the Mere to the SW and some of the dwellings to the S may have been outside the park.
Documentary research (and/or discussion with Rosemary Hoppitt) needed.
- <S1> SSF50165 Bibliographic reference: Hoppitt, R.. 1999. 'Deer Parks 1086-c.1602', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk. 66-7.
- <S2> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Rackham O, 'Deer Parks', 52-3.
- <S3> SSF56793 Map: 1840. Earl Soham Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <S4> SSF50083 Unpublished document: Deben Valley Place Names. Earl Soham, 1981.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
- <S7> SSF21215 Bibliographic reference: Shirley E P,. 1867. English Deer Parks.
- <S8> SSF50162 Cartographic materials: Saxton, C.. 1575. SVFFOLCIA.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2021 1:34PM