Farmstead record SLD 001 - Farmstead: Rockylls Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9987 6053 (170m by 140m)|
|Civil Parish||SHELLAND, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Rockylls Hall occupies the site of a former medieval manor and is listed Grade II, along with the stable in the farmyard.
A small, single storied shed immediately behind the house is a remarkable building of 18th/19th C, with no direct parallel in the authors experience. It consists of 4 small, unlit compartments, each 4mx2.4m/A. 2 of these compartments were further divided, and the other 2 provided a ceiling and loft. The structure contains an unusually small boarded manger, with evidence of a second. The present tarred weatherboarding is secondary, but areas of original butt-jointed boarding with rare red-ochre pigment survive within 2 19th C lean-to additions. The building was probably designed as a range of pig sties, and is an exceptionally early example of its type.
Mid-19th C cattle yard found to the N-E of the house, including a range of open sided shelter sheds of standard type. Other buildings not inspected (S1).
Rockylls Hall, Shelland. 18th century farmstead and 17th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard E-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamle (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50643 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2008. Archaeological Record: Outbuildings at Rockylls Hall, Shelland, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF60001 Map: 1839. Shelland Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2021 2:07PM