Farmstead record GFD 035 - Farmstead: Hill Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8289 4900 (166m by 192m)|
|Civil Parish||GLEMSFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
The shed originally formed the S end of a much longer range which divided the road from a pair of cattle sheds. It contained only a pair of double doors to the S and was designed as a vehicle shed or food store. The latter purpose is suggested by a low secondary doorway in its eastern elevation that gave direct access to the cattle yard, but this was blocked soon after insertion. The N probably house cattle but was altered during conversion, while the central section was linked to a pair of open sided shelter sheds but has been demolished.
Contains some re-used timber and forms a conspicuous element of a historically important and architecturally imposing grade II listed agricultural complex of gentry status, its most recent form dating to c.1860.
Flint rubble and red brick dressing with a roof of glazed pantiles (S1).
Hill Farm, Glemsford. 19th century farmstead and farmhouse/cottages. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50675 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2009. Archaeological Record: Oxdown Barn, Glemsford, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SSF59149 Map: 1938. Glemsford Tithe Map.
- <S7> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2019 11:02AM