Monument record ELV 067 - New Villas, Center Parcs, Elveden
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8053 8028 (172m by 530m)|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
2007: A programme of archaeological fieldwork, consisting of evaluation, excavation and monitoring was carried out on four separate blocks of land within the Centre Parcs Holiday Village, Elveden, Suffolk. The works identified widespread archaeological deposits despite the shallow depth of archaeological levels and disturbance from the sites former landuse as a pine plantation. Limited early activity in the Mesolithic/Neolithic and Bronze/Iron Age periods was identified, but the bulk of the evidence related to a widespread phase of Late Iron Age/Early Roman activity in the 1st century B.C to 1st century A.D. This activity appears to have consisted of a ditched enclosure system associated with a probable agricultural farmstead, with a range of linear ditches and isolated or loose scatters of pits indicating a broad spread of agricultural fields, enclosures and trackways. Although there were was no clear indication of structures upon the site, perhaps due to truncation and tree disturbance, the finds and environmental assemblage suggests the presence of domestic occupation, butchery and cereal processing in the immediate vicinity. The settlement focus with which the site is associated appears to have ceased or shifted after the Late Iron Age/Early Roman transition period, perhaps to an area of 2nd-4th century occupation in the fields to the south, and it seems that the site became marginal or rarely used land beyond the periphery of this later settlement (S1).
- <S1> SSF53648 Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2010. Archaeological Excavation Report, New Villas, Center Parcs, Elveden, ELV 067.
- FSF34810: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF34811: POTTERY (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF34812: BLADE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 9000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF34813: FLAKE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF50105: FLAKE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 9000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF50106: BLADE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF50107: CORE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF50108: RETOUCHED FLAKE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF50109: NOTCHED FLAKE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 3:51PM