Farmstead record HXN 053 - Farmstead: Abbey Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1828 7643 (114m by 107m)|
|Civil Parish||HOXNE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- GRANARY (19th century to Late 20th century - 1870 AD to 2000 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century to Late 20th century - 1870 AD to 2000 AD)
- SHED (19th century to Late 20th century - 1870 AD to 2000 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BARN (16th century to 20th century - 1575 AD to 1999 AD)
- COW HOUSE (19th century to Late 20th century - 1870 AD to 2000 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
A historic building record was made of farm buildings at Abbey Farm in advance of conversion proposals. The complex comprises a group of late 19th century farm buildings, typical of the High Victorian fashion for enclosed cattle yards, and which have been extensively altered. Adjoining the complex is an important late 16th century timber framed structure, the precise form of which is unclear, but is likely to have been a stable with hay lofts above. The building apparently faced northwards, and on a 1757 estate map appears to have formed part of a service courtyard in conjunction with three other outbuildings. These northern buildings may have formed a service or base court to the monastic buildings to the south of the house when approached from the north, and archaeological evidence relating to early occupation may survive (S1).
Abbey Farm, Hoxne. 19th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard E-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamlet (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF53716 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2010. Historic Building Record: Farm Buildings at Abbey Farm, Hoxne, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF7647 Map: 1840. Hoxne Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 11:24AM