Monument record HAD 150 - Aldham Mill Hill, Hadleigh
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0261 4319 (99m by 158m)|
|Civil Parish||HADLEIGH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- PIT (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- PIT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC) + Sci.Date
- GRAVE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- PIT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POST HOLE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- LAYER (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
1998: Aerial photographic assessment identified and mapped ring ditches possibly indicating the presence of bronze age burials. (S3)
2000: Excavation identified two large Bronze Age ring-ditches, and a smaller one surrounding a group of urned and un-urned cremations. Cremations were also found within the northern ring-ditch and a few in isolated positions just to the west of the ring-ditches. Central to the northern ring-ditch was an upturned biconical urn covering the cremated remains of a 35-40 year old male, which may represent the monument's primary burial. Away from the ring-ditches, prehistoric features were sparse but one isolated pit with Late Neolithic Grooved Ware was located. Prehistoric evidence dating back as far as the Mesolithic was present throughout the site but mainly as unstratified or residual finds (S1, S2).
Five radiocarbon dates for cremated human bone gave dates between 2970±30 BP to 3292±27 (SUERC-46193-7).
Site archived under the number HAD 059.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Everett L, Archaeol in Suffolk 2000, 40, 2001, 97-98, plan.
- <S2> SSF53746 Unpublished document: Everett, L & Boulter S. 2010. Archaeological Assessment Report on the Aldham Mill Hill, Hadleigh Excavations HAD 059.
- <S3> SSF60725 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 1998. Aerial Photographic Assessment: Aldham Mill Hill Stoarge Depot, TM0243, Hadleigh.
- FSF34950: POTTERY GROOVED (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF34951: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF34952: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF34954: BLADE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 9000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF34955: HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF50433: BLADE (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Aerial Photographic Assessment - Aldham Mill Hill Storage Depot, TM0243, Hadleigh (ESF29160)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Aldham Mill Hill Storage Depot, Hadleigh (ESF20793)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Aldham Mill Hill, Hadleigh (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-94124) (ESF20794)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2022 10:35AM