Monument record HAD 059 - Aldham Mill Hill, Hadleigh
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0269 4343 (409m by 640m)|
|Civil Parish||HADLEIGH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
1999: Archaeological evaluation trenching revealed a number of features across the proposed development area. These features were dated as prehistoric, Roman, medieval and post medieval. Whilst these features were quite widely spread over the site, there are two main areas of interest. The first of these is a Roman enclosure that was to the north-west of the site. These are likely to be related to the major Roman complex which was excavated in 1982 prior to the construction of the Hadleigh by-pass (See HAD 015).
The second area of interest was located to the south western corner of the site where medieval ditches and an oven were identified. These features are indicative of roadside occupation, probably in the bend of Aldham Mill Hill (See also HAD 152).
Aerial photography of the site revealed two ring ditches (See HAD 031 and HAD 007). Away from these ring ditches, evidence for prehistoric activity was sparse but one isolated pit with Late Neolithic Grooved Ware was identified. It was also discovered that significant depths of silty deposits had built up since the Roman period (S1)(S2 for AP assessment).
For Excavation results see HAD 150, HAD 151 and HAD 152.
- FSF34961: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF34962: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF34963: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF34964: BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF34965: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF34966: POTTERY GROOVED (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF34967: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF34968: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52133: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Aerial Photographic Assessment - Aldham Mill Hill Storage Depot, TM0243, Hadleigh (ESF29160)
- Event - Survey: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Hadleigh Storage depot (Aldham Mill Hill), Hadleigh (ESF20797)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Aldham Mill Hill Storage Depot, Hadleigh (ESF20793)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Aldham Mill Hill, Hadleigh (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-94124) (ESF20794)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2022 10:37AM