Farmstead record BRH 052 - Farmstead: Manor Farm (Barham Hall Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1417 5104 (142m by 96m)|
|Civil Parish||BARHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- BARN (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- COW HOUSE (19th century to Unknown - 1860 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (20th century to Unknown - 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
A historic building record was made of farm buildings at Manor Farm prior to conversion to residential use. The most important building within the group is a large and high quality timber framed 5-bay barn of probable 16th century date, surviving in unusually good condition. The barn is semi-aisled on the west side, and is thought to have been originally plastered rather than daubed. During the latter 19th century, other buildings were added to form a courtyard arrangement, including a 19th century timber framed lean-to, a brick cowhouse, shelter shed and stable of Victorian date, reflecting the shift towards Victorian High Farming (S1).
Manor Farm (Barham Hall Farm), Barham. 16th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamlet (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF53777 Unpublished document: Letch, A.. 2010. Level II Historic Building Record: Manor Farm, Church Lane, Barham, Suffolk..
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF21549 Map: 1840. Barham Tithe Map and Apportionment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 14 2020 10:55AM