Farmstead record SBN 090 - Farmstead: Tendring Hall Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9931 3524 (91m by 79m)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-NAYLAND, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- BARN (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- CART SHED (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- GRANARY (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- COW HOUSE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMYARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
18th C farmstead including 2 timber-framed barns, stabling, a cartlodge with a granary above, cow sheds and 19th C cattle yards (S1).
Valley Farm, Stoke-by-Nayland. 19th century farmstead and 17th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF56696 Map: 1837. Stoke-by-Nayland Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 26 2021 5:07PM