Farmstead record SBN 091 - Farmstead: Scotland Place Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9960 3675 (131m by 133m)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-NAYLAND, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
16th C farmhouse with a range of outbuildings dating from the 16th and 18th C. The farmhouse is timber-framed and plastered with a tiled roof. Some rennovation occurred in the 20th C. The barn is a later 16th C timber-framed and weatherboarded aisled barn wih 4 bays and a porch. The timber-framed and weatherboarded cartlodge is 18th C and has a tiled roof.
There is also a stable which has been recommended for listing as it is a good example of this building class (S1).
Scotland Place Farm, Stoke-by-Nayland. 16th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard U-shapped plan formed by working agricultural buildings, with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm building. Located within a hamlet (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 26 2021 2:23PM