Farmstead record DRK 030 - Farmstead: Burt's Farmhouse (Marsh Green)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9652 6097 (65m by 110m)|
|Civil Parish||DRINKSTONE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Farm buildings in the grounds of Burt's farmhouse, a 16th-17th C timber-framed and plastered building with a tiled roof. This house consists of a 16th C range of 5 bays with an earlier service range and a 17th C extension. The farmhouse has two 17th C axial brick chimneys.
There is a 17th C timber-framed 5 bay barn, which sits on a brick plinth and is part plastered, part weatherboarded and also had a thatched roof. This barn uses a number of re-used timbers.
Also present is a 3 bay timber-framed 18th C cartshed with a granary above. This building is also part plastered, part weatherboarded and would have originally been thatched. The cartshed has a 17th C core, reflecting that it was originally a barn which was modified and rebuilt in the late 17th C when grain production was increasing (S1).
Burt's Farmhouse (Marsh Green), Drinkstone. 17th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse.There are two separate courtyards both of which have a regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth / Bing Maps.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF5376 Map: 1839. Drinkstone Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 11:48AM