Farmstead record CRP 011 - Farmstead: Roydon Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0848 5849 (109m by 147m)|
|Civil Parish||CREETING ST PETER OR WEST CREETING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||STONHAM EARL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- BARN (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- STABLE (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Mid-16th C unaisled 10 bay timber-framed and weatherboarded barn with a tiled roof. There are two tiers of queenposts and 3 bays contained stabling with a hayloft above. There is also a 16th C timber-framed 4 bay stable, also used as a cowhouse. A 17th C extension provided an extra unit of stabling to this building and a loft was also added in the 18th C (S1).
Roydon Hall, Creeting St Mary. 16th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard L-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings with secondary regular courtyard E-shaped plan yard. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF21909 Map: 1839. Creeting St Peter Tithe Map and Apportionment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 1:33PM