Farmstead record MDS 160 - Farmstead: Whitings Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1025 6422 (45m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||MENDLESHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
16th C timber-framed and plastered open hall style farmhouse with a thatched roof. A number of alterations were carried out in the 17th C but evidence for diamond mullioned windows remains in the original studwork. The parlour in this house was originally very small but part of the loft over the hall was also used as a cool cheese room (S1).
Whitings Farm, Mendlesham. Partially extant 19th century farmstead with listed 16th century farmhouse. Regular full courtyard formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. There has been significant loss (greater than 50%) of traditional buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-S7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SSF59180 Map: 1839. Mendlesham Tithe Map.
- <S7> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2019 10:52AM