Farmstead record BLB 095 - Farmstead: Westwood Lodge (Blythburgh Lodge)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4643 7376 (156m by 157m)|
|Civil Parish||BLYTHBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- MANOR HOUSE (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- STABLE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- BARN (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD H PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- LINEAR PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Range of farm buildings in the grounds of a 16th C brick manor house. An extra wing was added to this house in the 17th C and a number of alterations were carried out at the same time. A 16th C timber-framed, weatherboarded and brick stable with a purlin roof and diamond mullioned windows is present at this site; this is believed to be one of the earliest surviving agricultural buildings which is not a barn in the county. Two barns also stand at this site; the first is a 16th C timber-framed and weatherboarded 9 bay barn with a queenpost roof. The second is a 17th C timber-framed, weatherboarded and brick barn, also with a queenpost roof. This barn originally had 5 bays, although it was later extended by 4 bays (S1).
Previously recorded under BLB 079 in error.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2019 10:04AM