Farmstead record SXT 011 - Farmstead: World's End Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2529 6615 (90m by 139m)|
|Civil Parish||SAXTEAD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- FARMHOUSE (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- COW HOUSE (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- STABLE (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
World's End Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a multi yard pattern with a full regular courtyard and additional L-plan and detached elements. The farmhosue is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a hamlet location. This farmstead survives intact with large scale additional infrastructure on site.
One of two new farms created when an area of woodland was cleared and existing houses were taken down in the 17th C. The farmstead includes a timber-framed and plastered farmhouse with a tiled roof, with a brick 19th C extension. A 17th C barn with stabling at one end was also constructed using timbers from an earlier house, seen through the inclusion of mullioned windows within its fabric. Also present is a 17th-18th C stable and cow house (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S!> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2019 1:21PM