Farmstead record BAY 043 - Farmstead: Baylham Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0922 5169 (233m by 194m)|
|Civil Parish||BAYLHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- MANOR HOUSE (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- BARN (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- STABLE (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- AGRICULTURAL BUILDING (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Agricultural buildings in the grounds of Baylham Hall, a 17th C brick manor house with mullioned windows and a newell staircase. This includes a 16th C stable with a brick lower storey and a timber-framed and weatherboarded upper storey. This building has 10 bays and a complete crownpost roof. Mullioned windows on the first floor indicate that there was an area of accommodation above these stables. Also present is an 18th C timber-framed and weatherboarded barn on a brick plinth. This has a good quality timber frame and clasped purlin roof, which appear to have been constructed re-using timbers from a 16th C building (S1).
Baylham Hall, Baylham. 18th century farmstead and 17th century manor farmhouse. Regular courtyard E-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additional detached elements. Unusually it is a double E plan with three ranges extending off both sides of the central barn. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The farmstead is extant. Located within an isolated position (S2-3).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF56864 Map: 1841. Baylham Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2019 1:28PM