Farmstead record HGH 048 - Farmstead: Hill Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0318 6207 (40m by 70m)|
|Civil Parish||HAUGHLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A historic building record and assessment were produced for a barn at Hill Farm prior to its conversion. Hill Farmhouse is a c.1600 Grade II listed farmhouse. The barn, which has a single threshing floor, was constructed in the 19th C and is timber-framed and weatherboarded with a brick plinth. A series of alterations and lean to extensions have been added to the barn during the 19th and 20th C and so its form has been extensively modified through time. Overall the building is not of a particularly high quality, with clay lump used as a cheaper alternative to brick in many places and with the simplest jointing techniques often used (S1).
Hill Farm, Haughley. 19th century farmstead and 17th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The farmstead is extant. Located within a hamlet (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54111 Unpublished document: Craddock, A.. 2011. Hill Farm Barn, Haughley, Suffolk: Historic Building Record and Assessment.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59792 Map: 1844. Haughley Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2020 5:42PM