Monument record BSE 375 - Medieval layers and wall, Shire Hall car park, Bury St Edmunds
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8588 6396 (46m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1998: Ground investigations revealed that the topsoil (0.4m-0.6m) overlay sandy gravelly clays with chalk fragments and rootlets. The auger was unable to penetrate below 0.8m-1.2m depth (S2)
2011: Evaluation of the Shire Hall car park showed that the landscape had been raised. This occurred in the 15th century with the dumping of gravels over marsh-land and river silts to create fishponds, a mill-leat and grazing meadows. This required the precinct wall to be extended. Excavation at the base of the original phase of the 12th century wall uncovered a buttress and possible rendering. Further ground heightening was carried out during the 18th century when topsoil was brought in to create the garden for St Margaret's House (S1).
- <S1> SSF54280 Unpublished document: Gill, D.. 2011. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Shire Hall Car Park and Weymed Centre, Bury St Edmunds, BSE 375 and BSE 376.
- <S2> SSF55471 Unpublished document: Cearns, P. J.. 1998. Borehole Survey, Proposed Car Park, Shirehall, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S3> SSF58617 Article in serial: Minter, F. and Saunders, A.. 2018. Archaeology in Suffolk 2017, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF35632: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF35633: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF35634: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF48160: POTTERY THETFORD (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF48161: MUG (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF48162: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48163: ROOF TILE (IPS: Late Medieval Transitional to IPS: Post Medieval - 1451 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48164: BRICK (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF48165: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48166: BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48167: TOKEN (17th century - 1667 AD to 1667 AD)
- FSF48168: MOUNT (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF48169: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Unknown date)
- FSF48170: WASTE (Unknown date)
- FSF48171: HANDLE (Unknown date)
- FSF48172: BUTCHERED ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48173: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48174: OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Borehole Survey, Proposed Car Park, Shirehall, Bury St Edmunds (ESF22604)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Shire Hall car park, Bury St Edmunds (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-113993) (ESF21309)
- Event - Intervention: Palaeo-environmental investigation and watching brief at the Shire Hall Car Park, Raingate Street, Bury St Edmunds (Ref: OASIS-oxfordar3-234824) (ESF23352)
Record last edited
Aug 28 2018 10:44AM