Farmstead record MWN 015 - Farmstead: Green Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2315 5859 (80m by 93m)|
|Civil Parish||MONEWDEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- BARN (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- STABLE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- BACK HOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- COW HOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Green Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular L-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. The farmstead survives intact with conversion for residential use.
16th C timber-framed farmhouse with a 3 cell cross-passage entrance olan. It was damaged by fire in 1993, which required the roof to be reconstructed as well as part of the first floor. A number of alterations as well as an extension were carried out to the house during the 18th/19th C. A 16th C 3 bay timber-framed threshing barn with an integral stable and hayloft stands in the grounds of the farmhouse. A backhouse and neathouse also once stood on the site but have since been demolished (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54546 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2011. A Heritage Asset Assessment on the Architectural history of Green Farmhouse, Monewden, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2019 12:04PM