Monument record BSE 365 - Medieval pits and postholes Shire Hall, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8584 6396 (22m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2011: The evaluation revealed 12th-14th century features (predominantly pits and postholes), post-medieval deposits and associated pits (including a possible cess pit). Finds from the post-Dissolution layers/ features included residual medieval pottery, clay pipe and 18th - 20th century CBM. A possible structure was partially revealed at the northern end of the trench. The medieval features contained small quantities of pottery and animal bone. Three features contained struck flint suggestive of prehistoric activity (S1).
2012: Continuing on from the previous evaluation the excavation revealed more pits and postholes mostly medieval in date. Late medieval/post-medieval pits containing residual medieval pottery and animal bone. A trackway also contain potentially residual mid 12th-15th century pottery, animal bone and oyster shell (S2, S3).
- <S1> SSF54688 Unpublished document: Adams, M.. 2011. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Shire Hall, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF57845 Unpublished document: Barlow, G., & Mustin, A.. 2012. Excavation and Monitoring Interim Report: shire Hall, Raingate Street, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S3> SSF58027 Unpublished document: Newton, A.A.S. and Mustchin, A.R.R.. 2014. Post Excavation Assessment and Updated Project Design, Shire Hall, Raingate Street, Bury St Edmunds.
- FSF36262: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36263: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45850: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF45851: SIDE SCRAPER (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FSF45852: BLADE (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FSF45853: TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45854: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF45855: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF45856: OYSTER SHELL (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 22 2018 4:19PM