Farmstead record HBK 047 - Farmstead: Alton Green Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1811 3484 (66m by 58m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COVERED YARD (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- MILKING PARLOUR (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- CART SHED (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- AGRICULTURAL BUILDING (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- DISPERSED PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Alton Green Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a dispersed plan. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a village location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. (S2-5)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
19th C farmhouse with a group of 20th C outbuldings that include a milking parlour, covered yard and cartlodge. Whilst the outbuildings have no particular historical significance, they are located on the edge of a medieval green, which has been occupied by farmsteads buildings throughout its history. Historic maps show that the current buildings replaced a 19th C outbuilding that was once present at this site, which is turn is likely to have replaced an earlier predecessor itself. Therefore these buildings help to continue to history of occupation connected to the green (S1).
- <S1> SSF54695 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2008. Historical Assessment: Alton Green Farm, Alton Green, Lower Holbrook, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2021 11:13AM