Monument record CUL 051 - New All-weather hockey pitch and Tennis courts, Culford School, Culford
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8348 7028 (140m by 68m)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
An archaeological evaluation was undertaken on land within a walled garden area to the south of Culford School Sports Centre in October 2012. Five trenches were excavated, revealing several ditches and post-holes of various dates (prehistoric, Late Iron Age/Early Roman, Early Anglo-Saxon and post-medieval), as well as undated features. Environmental samples taken during excavation recovered hammerscale fragments, indicating metalworking was occurring somewhere nearby although no dating was possible for these deposits. A recommendation for further work has been made, due to the nature of the deposits seen in this evaluation as well as their similarity to those seen previously in work immediately to the north where Early Bronze Age human skeletal remains were encountered (S1).
- --- SSF54940 Unpublished document: Cass S. 2012. Archaeological Evaluation Report, New All-weather hockey pitch and Tennis courts, Culford School, Culford.
- FSF36594: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36595: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36596: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36597: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36598: POTTERY (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF36599: POTTERY (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2015 12:16PM