Farmstead record CAV 055 - Farmstead: Colts Hall Barn
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7936 4770 (209m by 188m)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENDISH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- THRESHING BARN (14th century - 1300 AD to 1399 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (14th century - 1300 AD to 1399 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD F PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (14th century - 1300 AD to 1399 AD)
Colt's Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular multi yard with L-plan and F-plan elements and additional detached elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with modern sheds on site. (S1-4)
14th C timber-framed and weatherboarded 5 bay threshing barn, remodelled in the 17th C (S5)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
Taken from NRHE record:
Colt's Hall; 16th century Manor House, refronted and altered in the 19th century. Grade 2.
Colt's Hall, name confirmed has been extensively altered and enlarged, mainly in Victorian grey brick. The west end is the oldest part being timber framed and rendered over. See photograph
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SSF55051 Article in serial: Aitkens, P.. 1989. Aisled Barns is Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2021 11:19AM