Farmstead record NEN 010 - Farmstead: Goulding's Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9173 3940 (74m by 70m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- BARN (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COVERED YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Goulding's Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a ergular courtyard L plan. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact with conversion for residential use. (S2-5)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
A timber-framed and weatherboarded barn of 3 bays, constructed c.1600. The timber-frame is unusually well preserved and the barn retains its original roof and wind braces. There is evidence that the barn had a contemporay lean to and a porch was added in the 17th C.
Also present is a 19th C timber-framed stable which incorporates a tack room and store, as well as a contemporary cattle yard (S1).
- <S1> SSF55054 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2008. An Historical Assessment: The Barn, Goulding's Farm, Newton, Suffolk:.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2021 10:56AM