Monument record BRR 054 - Roman farmstead features at Land Adjacent to The Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 765 635 (74m by 116m)|
|Civil Parish||BARROW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POST HOLE (Unknown date)
- DITCH (15th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1400 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC to 409 AD)
- BEAM SLOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POST HOLE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
April 2013: Phase one of the archaeological evaluation on the site revealed ditches located to the east of the site that contained artefacts of Romano-British date. These ditches have been interpreted as serving a dual purpose as boundary and drainage ditches. The ditches contained occurrences of daub, faunal remains, charcoal and a small quantity of ceramics. One of the ditches revealed lava quern and charred grains of oats, barley and wheat recovered by environmental sampling suggesting cereal production occurred at the site. These features may represent the remains of an agrarian settlement, possibly a small farmstead in the area. A single sherd of Middle to Late Iron Age pottery may indicate earlier activity on the site. The only other feature of archaeological interest was a ditch of Late Medieval to Post Medieval date (S1).
September 2013: Phase two of the archaeological evaluation revealed possible structural remains dated to the Middle to Late Iron Age in one of the three trenches (S2).
September 2013: An archaeological excavation was conducted on the area to the east of the site that revealed Romano-British features during the earlier evaluation trenching. The excavation revealed three ditches that were set out during the Late Iron Age to early Roman period. The excavation revealed two possible post holes or pits that may be date to the same period as the ditches. It is believed that these Romano-British features may indicate the periphery of a small farmstead that went out of use during the 2nd century AD. The debris of settlement activity in the eastern end of one of the ditches suggests that the focus of activity may lie in this direction, but likely outside of the development area. Pottery evidence suggests that human activity on the site proceeded the Roman period by several centuries (S2).
- --- SSF54770 Unpublished document: Sillwood, R.. 2011. Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment of Land Adjacent to The Green, Bury Road, Barrow, Suffolk.
- <S1> SSF56343 Unpublished document: Adams, D.. 2013. Archaeological Trial Trench Evaluation: Land Adjacent to The Green, Barrow, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF56344 Unpublished document: Adams, D.. 2014. Excavation and Evaluation of Land Adjacent to the Green, Barrow, Suffolk.
- FSF42347: DAUB (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF42348: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF42349: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF42350: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF42351: POTTERY (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF42352: POTTERY (19th century to 20th century - 1830 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF42353: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF42354: FIRED CLAY (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC? to 409 AD?)
- FSF42355: PEG TILE (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF42356: POTTERY (Middle Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1600 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF42357: PIPE (SMOKING) (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF42358: RING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF42359: BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF42360: COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF42362: BOOK FITTING (16th century to 18th century - 1550 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF42364: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Desk-Based Assessment - Land Adjacent to The Green, Bury Road, Barrow (Ref: OASIS-norfolka1-110040) (ESF21801)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land Adjacent to The Green, Barrow (Ref: OASIS-norfolka1-151828) (ESF24061)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Land Adjacent to The Green, Barrow (Ref: OASIS-norfolka1-228046) (ESF24062)
Record last edited
Feb 2 2018 4:03PM