Monument record BSE 228 - Northgate Railway Complex
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 850 650 (532m by 263m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Northgate railway complex including a Goods Shed, an Engine Shed and a Coal Yard is visible on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (S1). The complex was presumably constructed after the Station was built in 1847 (BSE 506). The goods shed has been demolished but some tracks remain from the area of the coal yard.
The mid-late 19th century coal yard is located to the north of the former malting (See BSE 255). From cartographic and other historic evidence it was established that the site would have formed part of a large industrial site to the south of Northgate station, at the time mostly occupied by coal yards and good sheds. It was served by three separate railway tracks and linked with a plot of land to the southeast of it, fronting onto Northgate and Tayfen Road. The buildings on the site originally comprised industrial warehouses and open-sided sheds, as well as a small office building. Apart from the office, none of these buildings survived. Coal Yard is marked on 1886, 1904, 1926 and 1965 OS map along with the malthouse. See also photo of the area c.1880 (S2).
(The coal yard was previously numbered as BSE 255.)
- --- SSF59257 Unpublished document: Hobbs, B., and Woolhouse, T.. 2018. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land at Station Hill, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S2> SSF54336 Unpublished document: Froneman, I.. 2005. Historic Buildings Record, Former Malting/Land at Station Hill, Bury St Edmunds.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Desk Based Assessment - Land at Station Hill, Bury St Edmunds (ESF21356)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Station Hill, Bury St Edmunds (Ref: OASIS-preconst1-319661) (ESF26291)
- Event - Survey: Historic Building Recording, Land at Station Hill, Bury St Edmunds, Building Survey (ESF21357)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2019 3:21PM