Monument record IPS 707 - Mixed use development, Grafton Way, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 160 439 (555m by 126m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
2012: An archaeological evaluation was carried out on a parcel of land to the south of Grafton Way, Ipswich, in advance of a mixed use development. A total of five trenches were excavated which revealed extensive marsh deposits beneath mid-19th century reclamation deposits. Remains of two 19th century structures relating to a former railway goods station were recorded but no earlier features were noted. A single leather shoe, possibly 15th century in date, was recovered from a peat layer c. 2m below present ground level, (S1).
Results of Environmental anaylisis indicated that the site formerly lay within an area of tidal influenceresulting in sediment accumulation which led to the establishment of an area of saltmarsh. Radiocarbon dating of a basal sample suggested this process began in the late to early post-Roman period (419 543 Cal AD). Evidence for human activity was demonstrated in the coleopteran and pollen assemblages suggesting there may have been some instances of refuse deposition in the saltmarsh.
- <S1> SSF57401 Unpublished document: Sommers M. 2013. Mixed Use Development, Grafton Way, Ipswich, Suffolk, IPS 707.
- FSF44421: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF44422: POTTERY (18th century to 20th century - 1700 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF44423: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF44424: SHOE (15th century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF44425: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF44426: FITTING (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2017 11:33AM