Monument record BML 009 - Saxon artefact scatter (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2891 4935 (100m by 100m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BROMESWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1984: fieldwalking by J Newman (SAU) produced Early Saxon and Ipswich ware pottery.
In January 1986 fieldwalking (John Newman, SAU) revealed more sherds of Early Saxon and Ipswich ware, all from a broad spread in the SE corner of the field (S1).
In late October 1986, the farmer ploughed to 10 inches rather than 8 inches and subsequently bronze bowl fragments decorated with a `Nubian' lion hunt scene of Coptic origins ? C7 (R1) harrowed out (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). `C6, with punched inscription in Greek, translating to "Use this in good health, master count, for many happy years". For detailed description & discussion see (S2). Further remains of this bucket detected 'in-situ' with cremated human bones in 2012 (see below) - clearly another burial, excavation to follow.
Early November 1986, gold coin pendant with coin of Honorius, metal detected (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s).
Other finds include Early Saxon chip carved fragment, a facetted pin head and an annular brooch fragment.
1995: One PMed(?) sherd and one hand-made sherd with plentiful vegetable temper voids and some sand and fine mica inclusions (`IA' or ESax?)(S3). Also BA spear fragment.
Circa 1998-2000: geophysical survey by SCCAS/NT as part of visitor centre project (See BML 018)- detail O/S.
July 2000: Metal detector survey located further Sax, Rom, Med & PMed items (S4) & see Portable Antiquities scans etc. Copy of report held by Angus Wainright, National Trust. Report also prepared by Chris fern for publication - not yet seen by HBSMR.
2001: Geophysical survey by Paul Linton, English Heritage (Linton 2002 - probably an internal EH report? - reports only briefly summarised in Carver 2005). Not seen by HBSMR.
2012 (26-28 April): A metal detector surveyrecovered four further fragments from the Bromeswell Bucket. All fragments of this objects found in 2012 were associated with a geophysical anomaly associated with modern ground disturbance. This suggests any future attempt to excavate and record an area around the findspot of the Bromeswell Bucket would be advantageous from a conservation point of view as the associated deposits may already be compromised see BML 037 for details.
For excavation of nearby ESax cemetery see BML 018.
- --- SSF55094 Unpublished document: Gardner, R. and Sommers, M.. 2013. Metal Detecting Survey, Garden Field, Sutton Hoo, Bromeswell.
- <R1> SSF1579 (No record type): British Museum, verbal, unattributed, November 1986.
- <S1> SSF18066 (No record type): SAU (Newman J), field report,.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site plan, field report, (S3)(S4).
- <S2> SSF10704 (No record type): Mango, M.M.. Mango M M et al, Antiquity, 63, June 1989, (239), 295-311.
- <M2> SSF43998 (No record type): Photographs: BGK 10-20, BGN 1-10, BGO 6-10 colour.
- <S3> SSF4128 (No record type): Copp A per SAU (Plouviez J), finds report, April 1995.
- <M3> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database.
- <S4> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. SAU, Newman J, note & finds list from metal detector survey, July 2000.
- FSF18921: BOWL (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF18922: PENDANT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF18923: PIN (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF18924: POTTERY (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF18925: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF18926: ANNULAR BROOCH (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF18927: BUCKET (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF18928: HANGING BOWL (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF25725: PLATE BROOCH (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF25726: CRUCIFORM BROOCH (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF25727: SMALL LONG BROOCH (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF25728: BROOCH (IPS: Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 701 AD to 900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: Metal Detecting Survey - SAU, Newman J (Ref: ) (ESF18216)
- Event - Survey: Metal Detecting Survey, Garden Field, Sutton Hoo, Bromeswell (ESF22090)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by Newman J (Ref: Newman J) (ESF13035)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by Newman J (Ref: Newman J) (ESF13603)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by Newman J (Ref: Newman J) (ESF13835)
- Event - Survey: Sutton Hoo survey. (ESF16601)
Record last edited
Jul 20 2013 2:06PM