Monument record BSE 453 - Group of Neolithic/Bronze Age ring ditches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8706 6284 (692m by 551m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
2014: An archaeological evaluation identified 3 ring ditches which were first picked up during the initial geophysical survey which are likely to represent a Neolithic/ Bronze Age barrow group. A possible ditch was revealed which on excavation appeared to be a natural channel. The presence of Anglo-Saxon pottery in the infills of all ditches suggest that they remained partly open through to this period. A large sub-circular pit was identified containing eighteen sherds of early Anglo-Saxon pottery and burnt flint. Frequent vitrified material, possibly slag, was later recovered during processing of a bulk soil sample of the deposit. The Anglo-Saxon activity is likely to be linked to the substantial phase of early Anglo-Saxon occupation at NWN 018 to the south. A post-medieval ditch was identified containing post-medieval CBM. Several undated features were also identified including a possible ditch, pit, gully. A large amount of unstratified prehistoric worked flint was recorded (S1).
Evaluation results in the southern area of the site is recorded under NWN 018.
- <S1> SSF57227 Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2015. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land southeast of Bury st Edmunds.
- FSF43983: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF43984: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF43985: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF43986: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF43987: POTTERY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF43988: BURNT FLINT (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF43989: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF43990: SLAG? (Undated)
- FSF43991: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2018 1:33PM