Farmstead record CDD 092 - Farmstead: Dial Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 12777 56173 (159m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- FARMHOUSE (17th century to IPS: Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (16th century to IPS: Modern - 1500 AD to 2050 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- BARN (17th century to IPS: Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century to IPS: Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Early or mid 17th century farmhouse. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof with axial chimney; the base is 17th century work, the upper shaft having been rebuilt c.1980 and bearing a painted sundial. A 17th century gabled dormer; the original moulded head remains from the casement, which was otherwise renewed in 19th century. 3-light late 19th century casements. Gabled 19th century entrance porch with panelled door, the upper panel glazed with small panes. A lower range was added to right in early 19th century. Complete 17th century framing, the main members exposed internally. 2-tier butt-purlin roof with wind-bracing. The house occupies the island of an unaltered medieval moat (S1).
May 2014: A historic building record was carried out on a 19th century outbuilding attached the farmhouse. This building is in a poor state of repair an Listed Building Consent has been granted to demolish it. The buillding has a softwood frame, comprising sole plate studs and header plate, sitting on a one-brick thick red-brick plinth, and supporting a softwood mono-pitched roof with a slate covering. It is considered to be of little architectural or historic interest (S2).
June 2014: A historic building record of the barns was carried out. Barn 1 is timber-framed on a brick plinth with external weatherboarding c16th century. The frame has been encased in concrete to a heigh of 1.8m and a modern concrete floor laid indicating that the building has likely been recently used for grain storage. The roof structure has been completely replaced in recent years and now comprises softwood rafters supporting purlins spaced to support light weight profiled sheeting. Each side of the main projection of the north elevation are later timber framed and weather boarded lean-to's. Attached to the south elevation is a later open sided lean-to structure roofed with corrugated metal sheeting. Barn 2 is c. 17th century and is comprised of three distinct elements including an open fronted earth brick cart shed; an enclosed building of similar construction; and a timber framed structure. These buildings linked together to form an enclosed yard. The principal timber structure has a first floor which appears to be a later addition and a single storey addition to the north. Cintinual erosion of the earth floor has disrupted the brick plinths. Attached to the southern elevation Is an open sided lean-to (S3).
Dial Farm, Coddenham. 17th century farmstead and farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan, with a multi-yard aspect, formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buidlings. Located within a isolated position (S4-9).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF56379 Digital archive: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. List entry Number: 1033231.
- <S2> SSF57062 Unpublished document: Hollins Architects. 2014. Historic Building Recording: Existing Outbuilding, Dial Farmhouse, Coddenham Green, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF57061 Unpublished document: Hollins Architects. 2014. Historic Building Recording: The Barns, Dial Farm, Coddenham Green, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S6> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S7> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S8> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S9> SSF59470 Map: 1839. Coddenham Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2020 12:02PM