Monument record LCS 181 - Site of possible Bronze Age round barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4603 6468 (21m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
April 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
A ring ditch, perhaps representing the site of a Bronze Age round barrow, is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs (S1)-(S4). On photographs taken in 1946, particularly (S2), it may be visible as a slight earthwork; a small pit visible on top of it on the same photograph almost certainly relates to Second World War military training activity, evidence of which is visible in this and surrounding fields (LCS 183). The ring ditch was noted by a previous air photo interpretation survey (S5) but did not appear to have been added to the HER. See too LCS Misc (MSF21551).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 2nd April 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1673 RS 4248-4249 28-JUL-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RP 3205-3206 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/1674 F22 0150-0151 04-MAR-1955 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/69069 V 086-087 05-APR-1969 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF54456 Unpublished document: Richmond, A.. 1994. Evaluation Report, Sizewell C. Figure 5.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM46SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22910)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2016 11:51AM