Farmstead record LKD 067 - Farmstead: Lackford Manor

Please read our .

Summary

Lackford Manor is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a hamlet location. The farmstead is laid out in a regular multi yard with T-plan and U-plan elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with modern sheds on the side.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 7884 7040 (186m by 106m)
Map sheet TL77SE
Civil Parish LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (8)

Full Description

Lackford Manor is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a hamlet location. The farmstead is laid out in a regular multi yard with T-plan and U-plan elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with modern sheds on the side. (S3-6)

Fragment of 18th century house at north-west end. Irregular plan with Gothic details; 2 storeys and attics. Red brick, with deep stone hood-moulded lintels. Gabled, plain clay tiled roof. Sash windows without glazing bars; smaller windows paired sashes or cruciform casements. 2- storey gabled entrance porch with stone Tudor-arched opening. Spacious main rooms have good joinery. The 18th century wing has a truncated stair case with turned balusters, some panelled doors and other joinery; encased in red brickwork 1867 (S1).

2014: A Historic Asset Assessment was carried out to inform a listed buildings consent application. Originally a manor house of 1867, built by the Revd James Holden. A panel on the north side of the house gives his initials and that date. However, a part of the standing house began as a parsonage in about the early 18th century. The Parsonage only became a manor house following the acquisition of the lands and lordship by the Revd Holden in the early 1860s. Soon afterwards he became the rector of Lackford and built a large extension onto the existing house. The house is best understood by dividing it into three parts. The west wing is the earliest part and now contains the kitchens. The overall form and interior design place it in the early or mid 18th century. The east wing is much larger in scale and contains reception rooms. It is dated 1867. When built, it was conceived as an extension to the existing house. The north wing was burnt down at some time between 1904 and 1933. It seems to have contained a secondary entrance to the house and may have incorporated an entrance porch. Its main purpose was probably for trades-people and servants, and gave access to the kitchens. The burnt north wing was not rebuilt and the kitchens were accessed at the extreme west end of the house. However, the fire may have been a trigger for the construction of the imposing two-storied entrance porch at the north-east corner of the house facing the driveway. This was apparently associated with the demolition of a conservatory/vinery which had previously been attached to the east side of the main entrance doorway at the east end of the house (S2).

Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> Digital archive: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. List entry Number: 1180703.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Aitken, P. and Joubert, N.. 2014. Heritage Asset Assessment of Lackford Manor, Lackford.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
  • <S4> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
  • <S5> Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
  • <S6> Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Mar 14 2020 8:29AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.