Monument record LCS 203 - Second World War training area and/or strong point
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4656 6234 (429m by 380m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
May 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
A Second World War training area and/or strong point is visible as earthworks and structures on 1940s aerial photographs (S1)-(S3). It appears to have gone out of use before the end of the war, when Second World War Diver anti-aircraft batteries were constructed to its southwest (LCS 213) and west (LCS 063). Recent photographs (S4) indicate that while much of the site was dismantled before the end of the war, some earthworks probably still survive. Part of the barbed wire surrounding the site overlay the edge of a probably barrow or mill mound (LCS 215); due to the conventions of NMP mapping, and the desire to show the full extent of the barrow/mill mound site, this relationship is shown in reverse in the mapping, i.e. the barbed wire appearing to be cut by the mound.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th May 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7GR/LOC355 RS 4055-4057 30-MAY-1944 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/462 FP 1067-1068 30-JUN-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1673 RP 3231-3232 28-JUL-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 31-DEC-2007 ACCESSED 15-MAY-2015 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM46SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22910)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2016 11:54AM