Farmstead record WTN 037 - Farmstead: Cowslip Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1817 4910 (79m by 94m)|
|Civil Parish||WITNESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- FARMHOUSE (18th century to 20th century - 1700 AD to 1999 AD)
- DAIRY (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- MILKING PARLOUR (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- STABLE (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- COW HOUSE (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- HOUSE (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- GRANARY (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- CART SHED (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Cowslip Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a full regular courtyard with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use.
2015: An historic asset assessment was carried out on the farm and determined that some of the buildings had 18th century origins. However, the entire farm had been extensively remodelled c.1912. This was the result of the purchase of the farmstead in 1909 by Elizabeth Knight who funded the building works. It was believed that the buildings of the greatest interest were the former milking parlour and the stable block which both have largely retained their external appearance. All the buildings had been converted into use for a Golf Club between 1990 and 2000 (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF57434 Unpublished document: Blanchflower, J.. 2015. Fynn Valley Golf Club, Cowslip Farm, Witnesham, Suffolk, IP6 9JA: Heritage Asset Assessment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 19 2019 4:36PM