Farmstead record ISM 030 - Farmstead: Brookhouse Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3565 8470 (106m by 79m)|
|Civil Parish||ST MARGARET, ILKETSHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- THRESHING BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMYARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BOUNDARY WALL (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Brookhouse Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with the farmhouse detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact.
2017: A Heritage Impact assessment of the Farm Outbuildings at Brook House. The 19th century two storey red brick threshing barn is the most significant. The stabe block abuts the right-hand end of the main barn and backs onto a steep ditch. The stables form the north side of the farmyard with the two-storey threshing barn to the east; a boundary wall and timber shiplap clad barn to the west and a low brickwork farmyard wall and gateway to the south (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF57984 Unpublished document: Kindred, B.. 2017. Heritage Impact Assessent for Farm Outbuildings at Brook House, Ilketshall St Margart.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 12 2019 2:34PM